How Do I?
- How do I get reimbursed for services I paid for?
- How do I deal with a denied claim?
- How do I obtain my personalized ID card?
- How do I keep my insurance if I’m taking time off?
- How do I enroll my dependents?
- How do I know I am eligible for insurance?
- How do I pay for visits outside of Student Health?
- How do I get care at Student Health?
- How do I know what my plan covers?
- How do I get copies of my medical records?
- How do I find a dentist?
- How do I get my bill paid?
- How do I waive my insurance?
- How do I see a specialist?
- How do I register for a workshop?
- How do I make an appointment?
To get reimbursed for services rendered and paid for, send in your itemized receipt from your provider and a medical claim form, dental claim form or prescription claim form to Anthem Blue Cross. Please note, the receipt will need to include a diagnosis code.
Mail your reimbursement request to:
Anthem Blue Cross P.O. Box 60007 Los Angeles, CA 90060-0007
Anthem Blue Cross needs authorization from Student Health & Counseling Services before claims are processed.
Anthem Blue Cross maintains the right to investigate submitted claims, and sometimes require additional information including claim forms as necessary for the proper adjudication of the claim, at its discretion.
It may be that you are lacking a referral from Student Health & Counseling Services. Please see Billing Process to make sure you've taken all necessary steps.
It may also be that the service you had received is an insurance exclusion (see the insurance brochure for details of exclusions and limitations).
You have the right to request an independent medical review if healthcare services have been improperly denied, modified, or delayed based on medical necessity.
NOTE: Always keep a copy for your files of all forms submitted for claims.
Download your UC Student Health Insurance Plan (UC SHIP) Member ID number on the Student Portal (click on the My Health tab).
Students may extend coverage under the Graduate Student Health Insurance Plan (GSHIP) for two terms if on an approved leave of absence. Students are eligible to apply for the Scholars and Researchers Health Plan for one term only per lifetime. To apply, visit Apply to Enroll.
For more information about insurance options, see End of Coverage: Insurance Options.
Visit Apply to Enroll to apply for coverage for your adult or child(ren) dependent(s).
Registered UCSF students and researchers enrolled in the Graduate Student Insurance Health Plan (GSHIP) pay a premium for the GSHIP as defined in the ‘fees’ page of their Student Portal.
If you are not a registered student or are not sure if you fit into this group, see Enrollment & Eligibility.
Submit payment as directed on your bill.
For insurance payments, the following will apply:
For medical bills:
Anthem Blue Cross PPO
P.O. Box 60007
Los Angeles, CA 90060-0007
For dental claims:
Delta Dental of California
P.O. Box 997330
Sacramento, CA 95899-7330
For more information, visit Billing Process.
It depends what kind of care you need. If you need to see a primary care provider or make a travel appointment, call (415) 476-1281for an appointment.
If you would like to see a mental health provider for counseling, walk into either the Parnassus or Mission Bay clinic and ask to speak to a nurse.
If you are not sure if you need an appointment or not, and you would like to speak to a nurse, walk into either the Parnassus or Mission Bay clinic or call the nursing advice line at (415) 476-1281, option 2.
Download a copy of the UC Student Health Insurance Plan (UC SHIP) brochure or visit the following:
For enrollment details, see Enrollment & Eligibility.
• Immunization record: You may obtain immunization records at any time. To request immunization records, walk-in to SHCS with positive identification or fax the Medical Release form to SHCS (415-476-6137). There is no fee.
• Medical record: You may obtain a copy of your medical record at any time. To request records, complete and submit a Medical Release form. Submit the form to SHCS by walking it into one of our clinics, faxing it (415-476-6137) or mailing it. Please note, there is a $20 fee. If you are receiving your records by maill or fax, please send SHCS a check payable to 'UC Regents'. Please note that obtaining medical records can take some time (up to three weeks) because we may need to retrieve records from our storage facility off-site.
Dental care may be obtained from the dentist of your choice, however you will receive greater benefits when using network providers.
To find a network dentist visit Delta Dental.
Student Health & Counseling Services needs to authorize all visits before any payments will be made.
Claims are managed outside of SHCS. Student Health and Counseling does not pay or process any insurance claims, so make sure that your claim is submitted and received by Anthem Blue Cross. If you have questions about your bill you may call 1-800-888-2108 for details.
To see if you have taken all the appropriate steps necessary to get your bill paid, visit Medical Billing Process.
For complete and up-to-date information about waiving the Student Insurance Plan, visit Insurance Waiver.
To help you decide whether or not you should apply to waive the Student Insurance Plan, visit Should I Waive?.
TO APPLY, visit the online application tool.
If you believe you need to see a specialist, your first step is to make an appointment with a primary care provider at Student Health.
All specialty-care visits need to be pre-authorized by a Student Health provider. If a specialty-care visit is not pre-authorized, your insurance will not cover it. This applies to specialty-care follow-up visits as well.
For details, see Specialty Care Coordination & Referrals.
To RSVP for a program or a workshop, please email SHS@ucsf.edu.