All registered UCSF students have access to in-clinic healthcare services provided by Student Health & Counseling. However, only enrollees in the University of California Student Health Insurance Plan (UC SHIP) have coverage to medical, mental health, dental, vision, prescription and travel insurance benefits provided by the plan.The annual premium for the 2018-19 academic year is $5,060 however some programs premium will vary based on the period of coverage. See the Coverage Period and Premium table. For a complete list of fees assigned to your program go the UCSF Registrar Fees’page.
The 2017-18 academic year can be referenced on the 2017-18 Coverage Period and Premium table.
Enrollment & EligibilityRegistered students are automatically enrolled in UC-SHIP unless they have an approved waiver. Students paying UC-SHIP premiums in Fall, Winter and Spring terms are automatically enrolled for Summer, including the Summer after graduation.
Eligible to Enroll
- Scholars and researchers participating in a formal program or activity as defined by the University may enroll in the Scholars and Researcher's Health Plan. The benefits are equivalent to the registered students' UC SHIP. To apply, complete a Scholars and Researchers Enrollment Form and submit to Student Health & Counseling along with payment.
- Students on filing fee status may enroll in the Voluntary Graduate Student Health Insurance Plan (Voluntary UC SHIP) for one quarter. Coverage is elected by term. To enroll, complete the Voluntary UC SHIP Enrollment Form and submit payment directly to USI Insurance Services (address and fax listed on form).
- Students on University approved leave of absence may enroll in the Voluntary Graduate Student Health Insurance Plan (Voluntary UC SHIP) for two quarters. Coverage is elected by term. To enroll, complete the Voluntary UC SHIP Enrollment Form and submit payment directly to USI Insurance Services (address and fax listed on form).
Eligible dependents of fully enrolled/registered UC San Francisco students and researchers may elect to pay and enroll in the Voluntary UC SHIP. Eligible dependents of registered students must complete the Dependent Enrollment Form for Graduate Division Students or Professional Program Students. Eligible dependents of scholars and researchers must complete the Scholars and Researchers Dependent Enrollment Form. Once completed submit payment directly to USI Insurance Services (address and fax listed on form) and provide one of the following:
- For spouse, Marriage Certificate
- For same-sex domestic partner, a Declaration of Domestic Partnership issued by the State of California or of same-sex legal union other than marriage formed in another jurisdiction, or a completed Declaration of Domestic Parntership form issued by the University
- For opposite-sex domestic partner, proof that the Graduate student or partner is age 62 or older and elible to receive Social Security benefits
- For natural child, a birth certificate showing the student is parent of the child
- For stepchild, a birth certificate and a marriage certificate showing that one of the parents listed on the birth certificate is married to the student
- For adopted or foster child, documentation from the placement agency showing that the student has the legal right to control the child's health care
Not Eligible to Enroll
- Visiting students participating in UCSF programs but enrolled at another college or university are not eligible for coverage under the UC SHIP
- Other UC students from other UC campuses are not eligible for coverage under UCSF's UC SHIP, but they may seek care at Student Health and Counseling Services as part of University of California reciprocity agreement.
- Student employees who are regular status employees who apply and are approved for ‘Reduced Fee Enrollment’ are not eligible for coverage under the UC SHIP as well as in-clinic services at SHCS. See ‘Reduced Fee Enrollment’ to learn more.
Q: How do I obtain my personalized ID card?
A: Anthem member ID cards are available via a new mobile app. The app provides you with your Anthem member ID card, a summary of benefits, and other useful health information to best navigate your healthcare needs. From your smartphone go to The App Store or Google Play and search for "StudentHealth.app". Tap "Register Now" and using your "MyAccess ID" and date of birth create your logon credentials. From your computer or tablet go to: https://mobilehealthconsumer.com/studenthealth.
Q: May I continue coverage if I am on a Leave of Absence?
A: You may continue coverage if you are taking a leave of absence for two quarters per lifetime by enrolling in the Voluntary Graduate Student Health Insurance Plan (Voluntary UC SHIP). To enroll, complete the Voluntary UC SHIP Enrollment Form and submit payment directly to USI Insurance Services (address and fax listed on form).
Q: Can I waive the Student Insurance Plan?
A: Students and researchers who have access to an insurance plan that meets all minimum benefits criteria will be eligible to waive the Student Insurance Plan. To learn more, see Insurance Waiver.
Q: Does SHCS provide COBRA or an extension of insurance plan?
A: SHCS does not provide COBRA, because the UC SHIP is not an employer-sponsored plan. UC SHIP does provide an extension option for eligible enrollees. To learn more, see Other Insurance Options.